It’s Thursday, and, after a week off, that means it’s time to share the questions that were asked at this week’s edition of Egan’s Championship Trivia at Egan’s Bar in Tuscaloosa! Remember to come out on Wednesday nights at 8:00 P.M. if you wish to be a part of the competition in person!
1. Current Events: What film, directed by Guillermo del Toro, received 13 Academy Award Nominations, the most for this year’s awards?
2. Sports: The Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots will face each other in this year’s Super Bowl, which will take place in what midwestern city?
3. Animals: What is the term for a male bovine that has been castrated after or upon reaching maturity and is primarily used for beef and not draft work?
4. Geography: Located on the Mediterranean coastline, Haifa is the third largest city in what country?
5. Television: Badger and Skinny Pete were friends and associates of one of the main characters in what drama that debuted in 2008?
6. Music: One of the 5 albums up for Album of the Year at the 2018 Grammy Awards is “Melodrama” by what New Zealand artist?
7. Literature: The events surrounding the marriage of Thesus, the Duke of Athens, to Hippolyta, the former Queen of the Amazons, is the main storyline in what widely popular comedy by Shakespeare?
8. Movies: Theodore Donald “Donny” Kerabatsos is a good friend of the main character in what Cohen Brothers film?
9. Alcohol: What Anheuser Busch brand of beer, first introduced under the name Spring Heat Spiced Wheat as a seasonal beer, is brewed with the likes of orange, lemon, and lime peel and is a direct competitor to MillerCoors’ brand Blue Moon?
HALFTIME: Name 5 of the 9 films nominated for Best Picture for the 2017 Academy Awards
11. Business: What leader of a prominent political family became the first head of the Securities and Exchange Commission? Bonus for the year.
12. Sports: The last time the Patriots and Eagles faced each other in the Super Bowl was when the game was played in what city, which is home to a team that made this year’s NFL playoffs? Bonus for the combined score of that game.
13. History: On January 22nd, 1901, Edward VII is proclaimed King after the death of what long reining monarch? Bonus for when that reign began
14. Food: What is the Polish word for sausage, otherwise the other common name for a Polish sausage?
15. Television: In Breaking Bad, what was the name of Gus’ chicken restaurant chain? Bonus for the actor who portrayed Gus.
16. Lost Lyrics: What hit song, during a section where several names are dropped, features the line “They had style, they had grace, Rita Hayworth gave good face”? Bonus for who performed it.
DOUBLE DOWN: What bassist plays Kieffer, one of the German nihilists in “The Big Lebowski”? What musician has a cameo as “Nine Toes”, the woman who sacrifices one of her toes as part of the nihilists’ plot?
18. Advertising: What does the “E” stand for in Chuck E. Cheese?
19. Movies: What actress plays the trophy wife of Jeffrey “The Big” Lebowski in “The Big Lebowski? What’s her first name?
20. Drugs: What the colorful street name given to the crystal meth cooked up on “Breaking Bad” by Walter White?
FINAL: Put these in order from least to most
Number of Academy Award Nominations recevied by Dunkirk:
The number of circles of Hell in Dante’s Divine Comedy:
The number of ways a batter can reach base in baseball:
The number of points on a Star of David:
ANSWERS (HIGHLIGHT BELOW)
The Shape of Water
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
The Big Lebowski
Call Me By Your Name, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, The Post, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Joseph Kennedy Sr. / 1934
Los Pollos Hermanos/Giancarlo Esposito
Blue Sky (Big Blue, Blue Magic, Fring’s Blue, or Blue)
The number of points on a Star of David: 6
The number of ways a batter can reach base in baseball: 7
Number of Academy Award Nominations recevied by Dunkirk: 8
The number of circles of Hell in Dante’s Divine Comedy: 9