It’s Thursday, and, after a week off, that means it’s time to share the questions that were asked at this week’s edition of Egan’s Championship Trivia at Egan’s Bar in Tuscaloosa! Remember to come out on Wednesday nights at 8:00 P.M. if you wish to be a part of the competition in person!
1. Current Events: The Rock, Karen Gillan, Kevin Hart, and Jack Black star in the recently released remake and update of what film?
2. Movies: What actor, known for playing James Bond in seven feature films, died on May 23rd, 2017?
3. Geography: Starting in 2018, what small Middle Eastern nation, site of an international conflict in 1990 and 1991, will be part of the UN Security Council?
4. Games: On March 3rd, 2017, what video game console was released by Nintendo?
5. Television: What actor, perhaps best known as television’s caped crusader, died on June 9th, 2017?
6. Music: What legendary musician and rock and roll pioneer, noted for such songs as “Roll over Beethoven” and “Johnny B. Goode”, passed away on March 18th, 2017?
7. World Leaders: On May 7th, 2017, France elected who to serve as its current President?
8. Sports: Who was named MVP of Super Bowl LI on February 5th, 2017?
9. Alcohol: According to a study by Drinks International, the best-selling cocktail in the world is the Old Fashioned. That drink consists of a sugar cube, Angostura bitters, and what type of spirit?
HALFTIME: Name the 7 James Bond films featuring Roger Moore as James Bond
11. Business: Eric Schmidt recently announced he would be stepping down as the executive chairman of what conglomerate? Bonus for its headquarters city.
12. Movies: Director George A. Romero died on July 16th, 2017 and, perhaps, is best known for what 1968 film that is often considered a progenitor of the fictional zombie of modern culture?
13. Literature: On January 12th, 2017, author William Peter Blatty died. He might be best known for writing the novel and screenplay for what classic 1973 horror film? Bonus for when the book was released.
14. History: On August 26th, 2017, what storm made landfall near Rockport, Texas? What was its maximum sustained wind speed at its peak?
15. Television: On January 25th, 2017, what actress, who won Emmys for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for two different series, one in the 1960’s and one in the 1970’s, passed away? Bonus for the series.
16. Food: What fast food chain, based in Irvine California, is the 4th highest grossing restaurant chain in the United States with 2016 sales of $9.4 billion? Bonus for when it was founded.
DOUBLE DOWN: Chuck Barris, best known as host of The Gong Show, died in 2017. A film about his life, including claims he was a CIA agent, was made in 2002. What was that film? Who directed it?
18. Awards: In 2017, Jacques Dubochet, Joachim Frank, and Richard Henderson received the Nobel Prize for what scientific field?
19. Sports: Who was the 2017 NBA Finals MVP? What was the series result?
20. Drugs: Revlimid is the second highest selling legal drug of the year, and it was originally intended to deal with multiple myeloma but can also be used for myelodysplastic syndromes, which are hematological disorders, making it a drug that deals with what vital function of the body?
FINAL: Put these in order from least to most
Domestic Total Gross of It:
Domestic Total Gross of Spiderman: Homecoming:
Domestic Total Gross of The Fate of The Furious:
Domestic Total Gross of Thor: Ragnarok:
ANSWERS (HIGHLIGHT BELOW)
Bourbon (Rye Whiskey)
Live and Let Die, The Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View to a Kill
Alphabet/Mountain View, California
Night of the Living Dead
Harvey/130 miles per hour
Mary Tyler Moore/Dick Van Dyke Show/Mary Tyler Moore Show
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind/George Clooney
Kevin Durant/4 to 1
Domestic Total Gross of The Fate of The Furious: $225 Million
Domestic Total Gross of Thor: Ragnarok: $309 Million
Domestic Total Gross of It: $327.4 million
Domestic Total Gross of Spiderman: Homecoming: $334 million