It’s Thursday, and, after a week off, that means it’s time to share the questions that were asked at this week’s edition of Egan’s Championship Trivia at Egan’s Bar in Tuscaloosa! Remember to come out on Wednesday nights at 8:00 P.M. if you wish to be a part of the competition in person!
1. Current Events: Rian Johnson is the director of what soon to be blockbuster science fiction epic that will be released in full on Friday?
2. Movies: A bunch of high school kids and someone who graduated years before them leave to go get Aerosmith tickets at the end of what 1993 film?
3. Animals: Carcharodon carcharias is what creature that gives Hooper, Quint, Chief Brody, and the rest of Amity Island a whole bunch of grief?
4. Geography: 55 Central Park West in New York City is the high-rise apartment building nicknamed “Spook Central” in what comedy film?
5. Television: “Space Seed” was the episode of the original Star Trek series that introduced what major villain that ended up seeking out revenge on Captain Kirk?
6. Games: Sugar Rush is the name of the kart racing game central to the plot of what Disney animated film?
7. Literature: What was the name of the dwarf that was part of “The Fellowship of the Ring” in “The Lord of the Rings” films and books?
8. Sports: “Major League” tells the story of one particular season involving what baseball franchise?
9. Alcohol: According to Hannibal Lecter in “The Silence of The Lambs”, he ate the liver of a census taker with some fava beans and a nice bottle of what?
HALFTIME: Match these songs on the “Dazed and Confused” soundtrack to the artist/group who recorded them: “Love Hurts”, “Jim Dandy”, “Free Ride”, “Show Me the Way”, “Tuesday’s Gone”
11. Space!: In the movie “Apollo 13”, who portrayed the character of Command Module Pilot Jack Swigert? Bonus for the year of the Apollo 13 mission.
12. Movies: In “Dazed and Confused” what song plays once Pink, Wooderson, and Mitch enter “The Emporium”. Bonus for who performs it.
13. Business: “The Smartest Guys in the Room” is a documentary about the scandal and fall of what company? Bonus for the city where that company had its headquarters.
14. History: “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World” tells the naval perspective of England’s fight with what country? Bonus for who plays Captain Jack Aubrey in the film.
15. Television: “Q Who” is the episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” that introduced what race of villains, who were central to the plot of “Star Trek: First Contact”? Bonus for the year that episode first aired.
16. Food: Big Kahuna Burger is a fictional fast food restaurant that appears in the works of two directors. Name either one. Name the film that contains the first reference to the restaurant.
DOUBLE DOWN: In “Dazed and Confused”, what is the mascot/nickname of the high school where the main characters attend? What is the name of Wooderson’s car?
18. Music: Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays what legendary rock and roll critic in “Almost Famous”? What band does he first assign the character of William to cover?
19. Sports: “When We Were Kings” is a boxing documentary that tells about the historic fight between what two heavyweight boxers? What was that fight called?
20. Drugs: What is the name of the documentary by Billy Corbin that details the violent rise of the Miami drug trade during the late 70’s and early 80’s?
FINAL: Put these in order from least to most
The lifetime domestic box office gross of Apollo 13:
The lifetime domestic box office gross of Pulp Fiction:
The lifetime domestic box office gross of The Silence of the Lambs:
The lifetime domestic box office gross of Wreck-It Ralph:
ANSWERS (HIGHLIGHT BELOW)
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Dazed and Confused
Great White Shark
Nazareth, Black Oak Arkansas, Edgar Winter, Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Quentin Tarantion/Robert Rodriguez/Reservoir Dogs
Lester Bangs/Black Sabbath
George Foreman and Muhammed Ali/Rumble in the Jungle
The lifetime box office gross of Pulp Fiction: 107 million
The lifetime box office gross of The Silence of the Lambs: 130 million
The lifetime box office gross of Apollo 13: 173 million
The lifetime box office gross of Wreck-It Ralph: $189 million