It’s Thursday, and, after a week off, that means it’s time to share the questions that were asked at this week’s edition of Egan’s Championship Trivia at Egan’s Bar in Tuscaloosa! Remember to come out on Wednesday nights at 8:00 P.M. if you wish to be a part of the competition in person!
1. Current Events: The Argonauts recently defeated the Stampeders for the Grey Cup, which is the football championship in what country?
2. Television: Jenna Maroney, Kenneth Parcell, and Frank Rossitano were some of the crazy characters on what NBC comedy?
3. Geography: For the majority of its length in New York state, Interstate 90 runs parallel to the original route of what waterway?
4. Music: Joey, Johnny, Tommy, and Dee Dee were the original members of what pioneering band?
5. Movies: What is the name of the 1979 epic Vietnam War drama directed by Francis Ford Coppola?
6. Animals: An adult female sheep is an ewe and an intact, that is uncastrated, male sheep is a what?
7. Mythology: What is the Greek equivalent to Venus, the Roman goddess of love and procreation?
8. Sports: Fittingly enough… what SEC school has appeared in the second most Sugar Bowl games at 13, which is just behind Alabama’s lead at 16, and is also the team that beat Clemson in their only previous Sugar Bowl appearance?
9. Alcohol: What variety of pale lager, first produced in 1842, takes its name from a city in Bohemia, which is now a part of the Czech Republic?
HALFTIME: Name the 5 schools with the most losses in Sugar Bowl history
11. Business: What retail giant began in 1902 as Goodfellow Dry Goods? Bonus for its headquarters city.
12. Television: Name the highly anticipated and promoted NBC drama series that debuted in the fall of 2006 and was set backstage at a Saturday Night Live-like sketch comedy series. Bonus for who created it.
13. Science: A term used by dental professionals for what is more commonly known as tartar or hardened plaque is also, unrelated, a term used in mathematics. What is that term?
14. Food: What is the name of the food enhancer, first prepared in 1908 by Japanese biochemist Kikunae Ikeda, used to intensify the meaty and savory flavor of food and is the source of a popular myth that it causes headaches known as “Chinese restaurant syndrome”?
15. Movies: The screenplay for “Apocalypse Now” was adapted from what late nineteenth-century novella set in the Congo? Bonus for that novella’s author.
16. History: What name is missing from this otherwise complete list of US Space Shuttles: Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, and Endeavour. Bonus for the year of that shuttle’s first flight. Bonus for the year of it’s last flight.
DOUBLE DOWN: The last time Oklahoma appeared in the Rose Bowl Game was January 1st, 2003 when they defeated what PAC-12 school, who was the first PAC-12 team to win a Rose Bowl Game but has only appeared 4 total times? What PAC-12 team did Georgia beat when they last appeared in the game in 1943?
18. Literature: Not counting “The Two Noble Kinsmen”, which was a collaboration, or the historical plays with multiple parts, name 1 of the 2 Shakespearean plays with numbers in their titles. Bonus for the other.
19. Sports: The upcoming Rose Bowl game with Georgia and Oklahoma will not feature a PAC-12 or Big-10 team. The last time a team from either conference wasn’t in the game was the January 3rd, 2002 Rose Bowl game, which was also the National Championship Game. Name either team that played in that game. Bonus for the other. Bonus for the winner.
20. Drugs: A popular base for crack cocaine is sodium bicarbonate, which is better known as what?
FINAL: Put these in order from least to most
Including the upcoming appearance by Georgia, the total number of times a SEC team has played in the Rose Bowl game:
Number of Academy Award nominations received by Apocalypse Now:
Number of colors in the rainbow:
The number of Muses in Greek mythology:
ANSWERS (HIGHLIGHT BELOW)
Alabama (7), LSU (7), Florida (6), Arkansas (5), Georgia (5)
Studio 60/Aaron Sorkin
Heart of Darkness/Joseph Conrad
Two Gentlemen of Verona and Twelfth Night
Number of colors in the rainbow: 7
Number of Academy Award nominations received by Apocalypse Now: 8
The number of Muses in Greek mythology: 9
Including the upcoming appearance by Georgia, the total number of times a SEC team has played in the Rose Bowl game: 10